Last week, Outrigger Hospitality Group celebrated the unveiling of Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger – its first lifestyle hotel located in the centre of Waikiki.
Following an extensive $35-million modernisation, the “by Outrigger” property now boasts 498 freshly designed guest rooms, renewed public spaces including the pool deck and two meeting areas, plus an all-new lobby, porte-cochere and much more.
“With its thoughtful design, smart technology and bespoke art, the all-new Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger encapsulates the past, present and future of Waikiki,” said Jeff Wagoner, Outrigger Hospitality Group’s president and CEO.
“Outrigger’s legacy in Hawaii spans more than 70 years and this modernization is the first of many more milestones in our renewed commitment to enhancing this special place for both locals and visitors alike.”
As part of the makeover, Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger also unveiled its alliance of extraordinary artisans called, “The Beachcomber Originals,” who created and contributed personal artwork featured throughout the new hotel.
From an extreme-surf photographer to a Hawaiian fiber artist and an internationally acclaimed slack-key guitarist, the 12 artists collaborated with Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger to create a one-of-a-kind journey for guests, while sharing their personal inspiration and passion for the Hawaiian culture.
“Our goal in reinterpreting Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger was to evoke an authentic sense of aloha by using a fresh palette of warm, natural materials, and sun-splashed colors,” said David Rau, principal of Hart Howerton – the project’s architects from concept to completion that is renowned for its integrated approach and designing complete environments with innovative solutions.
The modern, coastal décor found inside the guest rooms at Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger was curated by SFA Design – a leading international luxury interior-design firm with a portfolio of high-end private residences and hospitality projects.
“SFA approached the Waikiki Beachcomber project by drawing inspiration from the beach, the sea, local tattoo artists and other Hawaiian elements that we were able to incorporate into the design to give it a fresh, light and authentic experience with a true sense of place,” said Rosie Feinburg, principal SFA Design.
Enhancements to Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger include:
- An entirely new street presence that re-interprets this iconic address as a contemporary Hawaii beach house, replete with driftwood cedar, sea glass tiles, native puka stone and basalt lava rock – all framed by a dramatically lush multi-story green-wall
- Contemporary, Hawaii-inspired design and revamp of all 498 guest rooms
- Updated lobby and public spaces, including the corridors, elevators and hotel exterior
- Refreshed pool area with all-new furniture and an expanded infinity-style hot tub overlooking Kalakaua Avenue
- New in-room technology, including 55-inch flat-screen TVs with the ability to stream from mobile devices and use personal YouTube, Netflix and Hulu accounts
- Collection of original commissioned art can be found throughout the property and in each guest room as part of “The Beachcomber Originals” partnership
- Unique guest amenities, including custom yukata-style bathrobes in each room
Steps to Waikiki Beach, adjacent to the reimagined International Market Place and home to local dining hotspots including Maui Brewing Co. and Hawaiian Aroma Caffe, the hotel’s prime positioning on Kalakaua Avenue provides travellers the luxury of city offerings paired with the nearby white-sand beaches.